“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” ~Hippocrates
Welcome to my Simple 4 day Detox!
It is expected during the upcoming holiday season that we will probably all indulge and over indulge in foods and drinks that we don’t usually include in our diets. So the intention of this detox is to give our digestive system a break and cleanse out some of that unwanted stuff that can make us feel sluggish and without vitality.
This will be a basic vegetable-fruit juicing and smoothie detox. There are benefits to both types of beverages. Both give you the advantage of getting the vitamins and minerals into the body quickly without taxing the digestive system. One of the basic differences is that juicing removes a lot of the fiber and the smoothie does not. So this way you will get the best of both. You will also have the option to add soups into your meal plans. Whether you make your own healthy soups or find a brand that fulfills your needs. I will be giving you suggestions for both. For three days we will follow this liquid plan and we will break the fast on the fourth day with cooked and or raw veggies and salads. Then you will be ready to start your weekend clean and ready to go.
So what happens next? Hopefully this will give you a head start into some healthier habits. It takes a good 21 days to develop new habits and about the same to detox from sugar cravings. So with this jump start perhaps you’d like to keep some of these new ideas into your daily regimen. Like starting every day with filtered room temperature lemon water and a healthy smoothie for breakfast. Keep an open mind and an open heart and the skies the limit to what you’ll be able to achieve.
I’ll be starting us off with the basics and I’ll be adding our daily plan and recipes as we go. So please check back into the website for your grocery list and other needs.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me for any questions you might have as we go along. Continue to take any prescribed medications, vitamins and supplements. And if you have any conditions that you’re concerned about, please consult your physician before starting this detox.
This is not meant to create stress. So go easy on yourself and take your time. You may decide not to follow this exactly but just to try on some of the steps. Anything you add will be a welcome change to inspire your mind and body to better health and vitality.
Over indulge in water (filtered water is best) Try to drink half of your body weight in ounces and add 8oz for aggressive exercise.
- Add lemon to your water to help cleanse and aid in increasing your metabolism.
- Also, try including about a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar to your water as well. Apple cider vinegar has so many wonderful health benefits: It aids digestion, relieves constipation, and alkalizes the body.
Try to remove the following:
- All sugars. That would include candy, deserts, soft drinks and energy drinks; basically anything that contains refined sugars.
- All types of flours and starchy carbohydrates including white bleached and wheat, potatoes and rice and all grains. Yes, corn is a grain.
- Remove all animal products, including beef, poultry, pork, fish, eggs, and all dairy products; dairy products include cow’s milk, butter, all cheeses, yogurt and ice creams.
Lastly, exclude all varieties of alcoholic beverages and caffeine products.
Daily Meal Plans
Upon rising begin with a room temperature glass of lemon water and any green or herbal tea. You may use Stevia as a sweetener.
- Breakfast and Lunch…Day 1-4
- Morning Energizer Juice or Smoothie
- Lunch…Day 4
- Add raw salad or cooked vegetables
- Dinner…Day 1-4
- Add raw salad or cooked vegetables (day 4)
- Juice or a Smoothie if you’re still hungry
Alternate cold and hot beverages to keep from getting hungry and be sure to drink as much filtered lemon water as possible.
Follow the above meal plan for the first 3 days. On day 4 you will be breaking the fast by adding in raw salads and cooked vegetables as you like.
It’s perfectly natural to experience some adverse reactions when detoxing. Like headaches, fatigue and perhaps muscle aches. Keep yourself hydrated and drink green tea if you need a little caffeine kick. Hot baths can be a wonderful addition as well as time in a hot sauna or steam room. Be sure to pamper yourself and take some breathing time outs throughout the day.
And lastly, a yoga practice will be awesome to help eliminate some internal toxins from the tissues with the lots of twists, sweating and breathe work. Just take it easy and don’t overdo it.
Equipment You Will Need
- A juicing machine to make juices
- I have a Juice Lady Juicer that I bought back in the late 90’s. They vary in prices so depending on how much you want to invest they run from very expensive to cheap
- You do want to purchase one that has a higher horse power; you will get better juice with less left over residue
- A Blender/Smoothie Maker to make your smoothies and soups
- A higher power blender is fine if that’s what you already own; I have a nutri-bullet and a Ninja; both are wonderful and the clean-up is crazy easy
My Ninja does smoothies, has a food processor and a blender. I’ll never chop onions and carrots again!